Monday, May 4, 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook 5/4



A very slow start to the week, after a beautiful weekend...




 Head over to The Simple Woman to see the other SWD posts!




Outside my window... 66 on it's way to 84 with a wet week ahead... I'm praying for no severe storms! 


 
I am thinking... 
  About 8 years ago today, when the EF5 tornado destroyed 95% of our town, including our home and my mom's home... killing 11 of our friends and neighbors in this tiny, close-knit town. The weather has us all on edge this time of year...

I am thankful... 
 That I know God is in control, no matter what happens!

I am wearing... 
My favorite turquoise shirt (again! lol) and jeans, bare feet as usual

I am creating..
I have nothing but the baby afghan going at this time
 
I am going...
 to stay home most of this week, we're working in the garden and doing some repairs on the RV in addition to the usual daily things.

I am reading...
 Just my daily bible study, we're in Leviticus this week, and I forgot how hard it really is to get through all the sacrifice instructions... I'm so thankful Jesus came to be the sacrifice for our sins once and for all!

I am hoping praying..
Still believing for Rick to find a job, and then for us to find a house!

 In my kitchen... 
 Some of the family's favorites this week!

A peek into one of my days...



One of my favorite things...



A favorite quote for today...


An early "Happy Mother's Day!" - I took this orchid photo this week, and what verses better fit mothers than 1 Corinthians 13:4-7?





15 comments:

  1. Hi Anita! Stopping over from Simple Woman's Daybook. I am so sorry to hear of how that tornado changed your life... and the video gave me chills. So sad to see such devastation. Hope your husband soon finds a job. Take care!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I could write a book about the lessons I learned from that tornado... maybe I will sometime...
      Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Anita. I am so sorry to read that you suffered so much loss and devastation in that tornado, and I certainly can understand why you are on edge at storms coming through your area. I have been through two tornadoes when we lived back in Ontario, and they are terrifying. We don't have them this close to the coast of Nova Scotia, but I still worry for friends and family back in Ontario, as tornadoes happen so much more frequently there now. I am so glad that you are okay. I will be praying for you this week that you have calm weather ( and for your dh to find a job soon) I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellie :)
      The worst part of our tornado was that it took out the entire town... no hotels to go to, no rental homes to move to, no stores, no churches, no schools, no hospital... we lived in FEMA trailers for 2 years afterwards, paying rent to Homeland Security, and I really think all the red tape and politics during the aftermath was worse than the storm itself.
      Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. Whoa! That tornado! I complain about our snow (and it can be destruction and dangerous at times), but I'll that that over tornados any day! Looks like your garden is growing! I need to order seeds...but our season doesn't really start for another couple of weeks if the weather seems to be cooperating. Short season in Maine! (I did see a mini greenhouse kit I like...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Maine, but the photos are beautiful... and I'm assuming you're read Eliot Coleman's books? Amazes me what he grows through a Maine winter! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I remember that tornado very well Anita. I live close to you in Hutchinson. I worked at a nursing home and we received a lady from the tornado. She was forever changed by it. As I am sure many of you were. I am sorry you had so much red tape and politics in the aftermath. Just doesn't seem right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had so many elderly people in town, and I believe it was hardest on them. Many of us have stated that if it ever happened again, when we saw FEMA coming we'd run the other way!
      My dad and stepmom lived in Hutchinson, he worked for the state highway dept. and she was a nurse in several nursing homes. Small world.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. I pray you don't ever have to go through a tornado again! How scary! Love your quote and the flower pic, is gorgeous! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know - the tornado was 20 minutes, almost over before we knew what was happening, but those 2 years following it were a nightmare... hope your week is awesome, too!

      Delete
  6. Such sad video, Anita...I'm so sorry for your losses of friends, neighbors, and property. And sad, too that you had to deal with so much red tape afterwards. I can see why you are praying for no strong storms...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I hadn't seen it in a while and it is almost hard to believe we came through all that.

      Delete
    2. Thank you... I hadn't seen it in a while and it is almost hard to believe we came through all that.

      Delete
  7. Ok, so I'm a day late, but May the fourth be with you! (AHAHAHAHA, Celebrate Star Wars day!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol... I kept thinking I'd post something on facebook yesterday and never did :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by... your comments and thoughts are so appreciated!