Saturday, April 4, 2015

Bible Study Post, Week of March 30



On Saturdays, I'm going to attempt to write about what I, personally, have learned through the week in the Monday-Friday bible study I'm doing from Women Living Well, the Good Morning Girls bible study.
It's an in-depth way to study the bible a chapter at a time, using journaling, and color-coding. Please check it out if you're at all interested in bible study!
This post may be long, I've tried to condense my notes as much as possible. I'm no bible teacher, or scholar, these are just my personal observations. I'd love to hear discussion on these verses!


This week's readings were Matthew 21-25

Monday, Matthew 21
The stand-out verses for me:
" Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done.  If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”" Matt. 21:21-22

 I believe God answers every prayer. Just not always with a "yes". If your child constantly asks for candy, you wouldn't give it to him because you know it's not good for him. God sees everything, and knows what the outcome would be if he gave us everything we ask for. Sometimes the answer is "yes", and sometimes it's "Wait, I have something better planned".

In verses 18-22 Jesus cursed the fig tree for not producing fruit. Christians are called to produce good fruit. I needed a refresher, so I looked them up.
 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
______________________________________________

 Tuesday, Matthew 22
The stand-out verses for me:
"Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”" Matthew 22:37-40
 There are no ifs in these verses... no "Love your neighbor IF they are Christian, or IF they are not gay, or IF they are the same color as you, or IF they are in the same tax bracket." Just love your neighbor, and everyone on the planet is your neighbor. All are created in the image of God, and the loss of even one human to satan is a tragedy.

In the parable of the wedding feast, the invited guests let worldly pursuits take their attention away from the celebration, just as we let worldly pursuits take our attention away from God and the return of Jesus. I had to stop and make a list of a few things that I needed to spend less time with, so that God will still be my main focus in life.
______________________________________________

Wednesday, Matthew 23
The stand-out verses for me:
" Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean." Matt. 23:26
In the seven woes to the scribes and pharisees Jesus taked about them cleaning the outside of the cup when the inside was still dirty. These cups are our hearts, and how many times are we more worried about our external that people see, instead of the more important internal that God sees?
I went to write my prayer out for this day and three verses came to my mind, in writing them out in order they created the perfect prayer for me.
"For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Matt. 12:34b
"May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19-14

"Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10
______________________________________________

Thursday, Matthew 24
The stand-out verses for me:
"For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." Matthew 24:5-6
I hear Christian people who are so afraid of what's happening on our world today, and it alway reminds me of this verse... "see to it you are not alarmed" God is still in control! "such things must happen"... these are signs pointing to the return of Jesus and oh, won't that be a wonderful day!
______________________________________________

Friday, Matthew 25
The stand-out verses for me:
" For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’" Matthew 25:35-36
AND
"“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" Matthew 25:40
 I believe we are to help people. Period. If I see a person, asking for money on a street corner and I feel led to give to them, I do. What they do with that money is on their own head. My duty is to give.
We should never pass up an opportunity to help someone if it is in our power to do so! We are all human, and we are all in this together.       

Gooseberry in bloom
 
  I hope you all are having a wonderful Easter weekend!



4 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by... your comments and thoughts are so appreciated!