Saturday, April 11, 2015

Bible Study Post, Week of April 6


On Saturdays, I'm writing  about what I, personally, have learned through the week in the Monday-Friday bible study I'm doing from Women Living Well, the Good Morning Girls bible study. I'm no bible teacher, or scholar, these are just my personal observations. I'd love to hear discussion on these verses!

This week we only had 3 chapters, and then will be taking a 10 day break. I will use some of the previous readings as a base for my post next week, and some to add to this week as well.


We are still in Matthew, the Easter story.

Monday
Matthew 26
The stand-out verses for me:
"And he said to Peter, "So could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak." Matt. 26:40b-41

Jesus has asked Peter and James and John (James and John, the sons of Zebedee) to remain with him in the garden of Gethsemane while he prayed and they fell asleep.

What is God asking you to do that you struggle with? I made a list, and prayed over the list. These verses reminded me that we can't just sit back and expect to not fall into temptation, Avoiding it is a very active thing.

Tuesday
Matthew 27
The stand-out verses for me:
"When the Centurian and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, "Truly this was the son of God." Matt. 27:54

The only thing I can say here is:
Is it too much to ask that our life that was saved by Him, be lived for Him? And of course my answer was no. I then referred back to my list of things that tend to take more time in my life than my time with Him, and renewed my pledge to put Him front and center in my life.

Wednesday
Matthew 28
The stand-out verses for me:
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, i am with you always, to the end of the age." Matt. 28:18-20

I believe our greatest witness, our greatest evangelical tool, is our own life and how we live it. People are much more convinced by what we do than by what we say. We can't just talk the talk, we must always walk the walk as well!

I had gone back over some of the previous lessons, and I wanted to share this with you:

Genesis 5
v.24: In the geneology of Adam through Lamech, Enoch is the only one to be said to "walk with God."
I read in Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary (Originally written in 1706) about this verse:

"The Holy Spirit, instead of saying, Enoch lived, says, Enoch walked with God. This was his constant care and work; while others lived to themselves and the world, he lived to God. It was the joy of his life. Enoch was removed to a better world. As he did not live like the rest of mankind, so he did not leave the world by death as they did. He was not found, because God had translated him, Heb 11:5. He had lived but 365 years, which, as men's ages were then, was but the midst of a man's days. God often takes those soonest whom he loves best; the time they lose on earth, is gained in heaven, to their unspeakable advantage. See how Enoch's removal is expressed: he was not, for God took him. He was not any longer in this world; he was changed, as the saints shall be, who are alive at Christ's second coming."


Click Here For - Last Week's Bible Study Post


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by... your comments and thoughts are so appreciated!