Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday Finds and Favorites, 3/6

Kim Klassen dot com
(click the FF logo above to go to where Friday Finds originates, to see more posts!)

I can't believe it's Friday again already! I haven't got much done in the way of replacing all the photos in my blog (that I accidentally deleted - you can read how that happened in my Simple Woman's Daybook post previous to this one) But hopefully I'll get that done this weekend.



The biggest news this week is my son.

He was held back in preschool, and kindergarten, and in first grade the teacher declared him "unteachable". He was diagnosed with ADHD, I homeschooled him for 3 years, and we've had to fight for every step he's made along the way, and this week we got a letter telling us that now, in his first semester of high school, he has made the honor roll!! We still have a ways to go, and some battles to win, but we are just so proud of this remarkable person God trusted us to raise for Him!!

We live in an RV at the moment, and most of our things are packed away in storage... I am at a loss for doing still life photography, so my photos for now are all things I find in my wanderings.

If you've been here at my blog much at all, you know I love history. I love old things and places. I love rust and weathered old wood. So this week's photos shouldn't surprise you at all.

A new revelation to some of you might be that I also love trains.


These coal cars were sitting silently along the all-but-abandoned railway I mentioned in last Friday's post. On this day we were about 20 miles farther east. The colors attracted me, as well as the turn at the far end, leaving a bit of mystery as to what was at the other end, and how many cars there might be there.

Another of my favorite shots of the week:


This one just the contents of a farmer's shed, with a horse trailer that looks like it's been unused for quite a while. I edited it quite a bit, I love adding even more "rustic" to a shot once in a while. I named this one "No More Horses 'Round Here" for my Smug Mug photo sales page. It's colors and content remind me a lot of my childhood.

I hope your week has been pleasant, and that spring is close where you live! We are expecting 60's for the next few days, even low 70s by midweek, and we are so ready for it!
Have a wonderful weekend!


10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you all especially your young man, I have some experience battling with school authorities for my son's education. I love your train image it is so well textured and grunged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!. Believe it or not all I had to do was a touch of sharpening on that train shot... Life had done the grunge for me :)

      Delete
  2. Anita, So nice to meet you. I worked with children with special needs for many years and witnessed first-hand the power of parents and teachers who believed in, worked for, and dedicated themselves to the education of ALL children. So glad that your son's story will have a happy ending.

    Your life sounds like an adventure and finding still life along your daily paths and wanderings makes for a very resourceful photographer. LOVE the train image - your point of view is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      We have some hurdles still, a teacher we're butting heads with at the moment, but nothing is too much work for us to get him where he needs to go!

      Delete
  3. These photos are a real treat, I especially like the texture! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always so intimidated by the beauty of other "Friday Find" bloggers' photos, that my little country shots don't measure up in my own mind... but I love photography, so I just do what I do and try not to fall prey to the "comparison monster" :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your son's achievements, Anita. It's often true that when a child has a difficulty to overcome it makes them much more focussed and determined than their peers who have not been similarly challenged. Now he's on an upward trajectory the sky's the limit! I wish him all the very best of luck. Your photos are stunning. I love the railway line disappearing round the corner and I love your rustic barn, which looks a little bit like a painting. I love how you softened the focus and blended the palette to make the colours look so harmonious. All the best for a lovely weekend, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your back roads, country photos. Any intimidation you feel you need to push aside as your photos are lovely and full of life. Still life isn't for everyone but you have obviously found what you are good at.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by... your comments and thoughts are so appreciated!