Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Magical Bit of Time



We walked this short trail in Pratt County on Tuesday. it was 75+ degrees that day, and almost hot here in the trees with no breeze getting through. If you take a left at that evergreen, and go over a little rise, you come to what they call the "L-shaped pond" hidden back in the trees. The pond was once part of a sand pit, and is 30 ft. deep in places.

L-Shaped Pond


It was so quiet, we heard nothing but the "plop" of early spring turtles dropping off their sunning logs into the water. The mud they so recently climbed out of after their winter sleep was still drying on their shells.
A crow we never could spot started up a warning while we were there, it made me smile... I love crows. They are so intelligent, and what girl doesn't empathize with their love of shiny things?


Follow that path on past the evergreen and you're walking along the bank of the South Fork Ninnescah river, flowing lazily along in the sun.
South Fork Ninnescah River


New Queen Anne's Lace and Wavy Leaf Thistle were coming up green against the dry grasses of last summer.
Queen Anne's Lace/Spiny Leaf Thistle


We spotted tracks of deer and raccoon, as well as a small tree recently felled by a beaver, and a tuft of White-Tail Deer fur.


On our way back to the truck we stirred up a big Tom Turkey. He was too deep in the trees for a photo, and too fast - all we saw was his back and tail feathers disappearing over a large fallen Cottonwood Tree.

It was only an hour out of our day, but it was just what our spirits needed, a little soul-stirring nature.


4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post, Anita. Your beautiful photos and easy descriptive writing style made me feel like I was right there walking alongside you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such a perfect day :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely walk. I just finished reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard where she talks about the way the turtles hibernate for the winter, so interesting. I definitely love shiny things and am easily distracted by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Annie Dillard, but I have yet to read that book... thanks for reminding me, I'll add it to my list ;)
      I recently read where a little girl had been feeding the crows for years and they brought her things, shiny things they'd found, bits and pieces... love gifts. I thought that was so beautiful.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by... your comments and thoughts are so appreciated!